End of Term Exhibition

Scan 20.26.49

Exhibition Layout (Plan)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Books_by_type

http://www.blurb.co.uk/trade-books

BOOK TYPES:

• Photobook
  • Trade Book***
  • Audiobook***
  • Chapbook – a small pamphlet containing tales, ballads, or tracts.
  • Hardcover
  • E-book***
  • Octavo:

The technical term describing the format of a book, which refers to the size of leaves produced from folding a full sheet of paper on which multiple pages of text were printed to form the individual sections (or gatherings) of a book. An octavo is a book or pamphlet made up of one or more full sheets of (e.g. A2 paper) on which 16 pages of text were printed, which were then folded three times to produce eight leaves. Each leaf of an octavo book thus represents one eighth the size of the original sheet. Other common book formats are folios and quartosOctavo is also used as a general description of size of books that are about 8 to 10 inches tall (almost A5 paper size), and as such does not necessarily indicate the actual printing format of the books, which may even be unknown as is the case for many modern books. These terms are discussed in greater detail in book sizes

• (single) Plastic drawers
  • Poster – fold into a book
  • shaped book – in the shape of silicon face
  • Calendar – Outlines what was done when since X-mas (accompanying Images)
  • e-text (on tablet)

Research Portfolio:

You may want to begin thinking about your Research Project Portfolio by considering the following suggestions about what the finished Portfolio should contain:

1. A cover letter or introductory statement that explains the form, format, and substance of the Portfolio as a whole.

It should say why you have chosen to shape your project (and the questions it explores) as you have, and what principles guided both (1) your research itself and (2) how or why you decided to include those particular materials that are present in the finished portfolio.

You should also discuss what you see as the relationship among all these materials (including your annotations on the materials) in terms of the sort of paper or other project that you might write or create from these materials.

In practical terms, this prefatory (introductory) statement should tell me what to expect in the Portfolio, including why the materials you have chosen are important, both for you personally and for the “picture” they help to draw of the subject you have chosen to examine. And (to repeat), it should briefly describe or explain the sort “finished product” you could create from these materials.

1. A table of contents that identifies each component in the Portfolio in the order in which they appear
  1. The completed set of research and study materials that represent the record of your individual efforts better and more fully to understand the subject you have chosen as the focus for your research project.

These materials may take many forms: essays and articles, visual materials, downloaded materials, original work, etc.

For “longer” items, you should feel free to include only the relevant excerpts (rather than including a whole book, to take an obvious example). For each item, you should provide the following information:

1. the exact source of the materials (give complete bibliographical citations for print and visual materials, complete URLs for Internet downloads);
  1. a brief statement (to accompany) (a sentence is plenty, and it need not be a grammatically “complete” sentence, at that; it can even be in the form of a “sticky note” attached to the item) explaining why you consider the selected item important enough – or interesting enough – for inclusion
  1. another brief comment (as in “b,” above) on the item’s relation to the “angle” on our course that you are developing in your own work and approach (if you are attaching “sticky notes,” consider using one color for “b” and a different one for “c).

4a. relatively brief summary statement that explains what the value of this entire Research Project Portfolio project has been to you. What have you learned? What did you discover that you might not have expected (including about your own interests and abilities)? What (if any) additional questions or areas of inquiry have emerged that you have not had time to pursue?

Publication Example(s):

In terms of actively making a publication, I feel that it is useful to see that the facilities at Chelsea offer. I went ti the Digital Print Studio and took images of some of the book styles that I like.

From the visit I feel that I would go for a very minimalist book (Black & White) with simple page layouts (either text or image on each consecutive page). This would also be smaller then A4. Although there are other layout styles that I am more inclined to use in terms of portfolio choices, it is useful to see what my capabilities could be if I decided to work with the Print studio to create my publication.

Styles I enjoy:

I definitely prefer the size of the books. With the amount of research i have done, I feel confident that I could produce a very thick research catalogue/publication that would not overpower my work (in terms of assessment). I would also force me to be very minimalist in the items I put in the book.

A little larger, I like landscape books and would not mind going a little larger when producing a publication.

Minimalist Aesthetic: This is a book style I have always enjoyed. Not only doe it look clean, but it will force me to be highly selective.

Textural Outer-Cover

Playfulness of Outer-Cover

Method of Display: An example of how to include literary extracts as well as my own imager neatly throughout the publication.

Examples:

Exhibition Spaces

Screen Shot 2016-05-02 at 17.39.11

Screen Shot 2016-05-02 at 17.41.10

As a method of preparation, I went to the available preparation spaces to see which ones I though would best accommodate my work, as well as to get a general feel of the spaces. This was useful for me as I was able to really see the spaces unblemished by the work of others, and has allowed me to generate ideas surrounding the possible curation, and display of my work within the exhibition.

As os noe, my preference is geared towards the Cookhouse or Morgue in that I can locate my work in the little nooks and crannies of the spaces.

As Iam interested in taking away the hierarchy from my work, this really is dependent on methods of display/curation within the space and so in the coming weeks I have to be very clear about where the work is located, as well as how I display them.

Morgue

Dark, labyrinth-type room , I feel my work could be ideally located here. It could be well hidden or concealed within the space, the low-key lighting could help to emphasise the eerie-ness of my work.

BG02

Personally, I consider this room to open for my work. From this view then, my work would have to be mounted within the room, most likely on a plinth, which is something I do not want to do. There is no where to really display my work with the space, the area to warm, and too well lit to really accommodate my work.

IMG_2016  IMG_2018 IMG_2019 IMG_2020

IMG_2026 IMG_2027 CG01, CG02, CG03

In terms of my final exhibition space choice I would probably pick between CG01 and CG03: CG01 for the clinical nature of the room as well as its uniformity. If I were to mould the mask on the wall then I feel that this would be the perfect space. Not only could it be located from all corners of the room, but it would work wth other wall hangings; or CG03 for the size of the room.

(CG01)

FullSizeRender

(CG02)

(CG03)

The Triangle Space:

Often, the Triangle Space is too overcrowded for my liking when it comes to exhibition. In addition, with the multitude of works within the space, as well as the noticeable changes in lighting depending on the works held within the space, I do not feel that this will be the correct space to locate my work. Open as a much as BG02, I want a more intimate space for my work and therefor feel that this space would not best suit my work.

The Cookhouse:

I am also interested in putting my work within the Cookhouse. Composed of a number of rooms, my work i think could be ideally located within this space. Most likely the room farthest to the right (glass window), I like this location for the work in that it works with natural lighting and is a small room that, if curated properly, could really do wonders for my style of working.

(furthest right room)