Full Body Castings

Screen Shot 2016-04-15 at 14.51.24

“Intense observation of nature has been my primary teacher, followed by a close study of past masters and contemporary sculptors.” 

http://digiqualia.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/lets-talk-brian-booth-craig.html

Leading on from my work last year, I am really looking to extend the scale of my castings. Although in the meantime I would like to cast a few more faces, I really think my practise would benefit from working on a larger scale, or focus on minute element of the human form. This would be in both clay and silicon moulds.

I really believe that these castings have become an extensions of my drawings. With my focus on the human form still in the forefront of my working, now I am able to work in a more 3-Dimensional realm, applying some of the crosshatching and pointillism that are vital in photorealism.

My work has been inspired by a Instagram Artist who creates bronze casting moulds of the female form (full-body, fully proportional) in meticulous detail.

I too wish to explore human form in this level of detail (to size) but working even more intensely with skin textures, colouration and textural details (such as hair). This i full will solidly take my work into the final term and to the end of the year.

Although finding models will probably be the most difficult aspect of my work, I am excited to see where this avenue of work will take me.

Perhaps to I may also experiment in different types/qualities of casting and mould making in order to fully realise the direction of my work. I may also accompany these work with drawn experiments that look at (again) the minor details of my castings in an attempt to combine the two avenues of my work.

http://www.brianboothcraig.com

Brian Booth Craig

Figurative sculpture artist

Screen Shot 2016-04-15 at 14.51.15

Screen Shot 2016-04-15 at 14.51.07

In the Media:

“The Sculptor’s Funeral” Podcast: Brian Booth Craig Interview

Brian Booth Craig appears as the featured guest of sculptor Jason Arkles on the April 4 edition of The Sculptor’s Funeral podcast. Arkles summarizes the podcast:

Today’s interview on the Sculptor’s Funeral has me talking with Brian Booth Craig, one of the leading figurative sculptors of the day. We discuss Craig’s unique education and work experience, which led on the path toward producing some of the most original and thought-provoking work in a genre awash in repetitive banality – the female nude.

To listen to the podcast, visit The Sculptor’s Funeral web site, or the podcast entry on iTunes.

Screen Shot 2016-04-15 at 14.52.03

Screen Shot 2016-04-15 at 14.50.59

Screen Shot 2016-04-15 at 14.51.12

Screen Shot 2016-04-15 at 14.51.34

Blogspot:

“I work from life, imagination, photographs, casts, anatomical knowledge, historical antecedents and the work of my peers. My working method requires a good memory of form, but I have closely observed human form for many years, so my imagination plays a role at every stage of sculpting. I have a mental catalogue of human forms that is informed by nature, anatomy and sculptural conventions, and which permits me to visualize possibilities and variations as I am working.”

Unlike most sculptors, past and present, Brian also casts his own works.