Monter Clay Casting

A secondary aspect of the casting is to create a clay bust. More in line with my experience of sculpture (as seen in the V&A and The British Museum), this I feel is an important part of the refining process.

What (Monster) Clay Moulds will allow me to do is to really sharpen up at lot of the dimensions and pectoral details that were lost/deformed in the (Easy Flow) Casting process. This will also be useful when moving onto silicone mould as it will be the correct dimensions to create a realistic mask?

The Clay cast required to the rebuilding of the original Gel Cast Mould (which I actually deconstructed after the 2nd Easy Flow Cast) as the ModRock Casing from the previous casting is eroded very easily. Using the same materials I began to rebuild the casing, using the initial silicon mould as a placeholder for recasting.

At the same time however, I began to warm my new CrockPot which I would be using to melt the Monster Clay before poring into the mould to make a Clay Cast.

Mast Reconstruction using ModRock and Salty Water

Reconstructed Mould – ModRock Band around the midsection of the cast

Melting Monster Clay  IMG_7134

The (melted) Monster Clay will be poured into the cast at 30 minute intervals in order to build a significant thickest to the cast. This will then be removed from the ModRock cast and sculpted accordingly. With this new cast I hope to sculpt in open eyes and properly flesh out the ear, nose and neck details, before moving onto the Hyper-Realist Silicone Mask (complete with fail hairs, skin colouring etc.)

Casting:

The Casting process involves pouring, then removing, multiple layers of clay into the Gel-10 Cast mould in order to build up a 1/4 inch thickness. This is a 2-man job ad involves recasting multiple layers of 30-minute intervals. The finish clay casting has 3 layers of clay.

After the Monster Clay has been melted, I unplugged the Slow-Cooker and allowed the clay to cool (to the point where you can no longer see bubbles in the mixture) before pouring into the clay into the ModRock Cast and twisting the cast in all angles in order to allow the clay to cast all the minor details of the original Gel Cast. This is then careful adjusted allowing the clay to cascade from the exterior (neck feature) of the cast, casting the next as it leaves the mould. This is effective in creating a hollow cast that will appear as a solid bust when it is cooled. This initial print coat is important to gather all of the details of the original Gel-10 cast and is left to cool before repeating the process.

Neck feature – the material is poured out of the ModRock mould back into the Slow Cooker and the layer allowed to cool before repeating the process

initial print coat go Monster Clay

Deconstrution:

back of head – Clay Casting

Final Outcome

details