National Portrait Gallery Visit – 19.10.15

I decided to start the year by visiting the National Portrait Gallery. I often use this gallery (and its many free exhibitions) as a starting point for the work in the beginning of the school year. More than anything, I use it to generate visual imagery and ideas about the approach I hope to take in my art throughout the year. What I enjoy about the gallery is that it is very specific, in that there is a keen focus on the portraiture genre of a whole, something that I struggle with when visiting exhibitions as a whole throughout the year.

With a number of different themed rooms that allow me to explore how the effect of Power, Love, Fame affect how people are seen and represented in portraiture, this I feel was a useful starting point as not only does it get me in the mood to start my own oracles, but it inspires with a number of styles and methods regarding how I can personally generate my own imagery.

From this, I now have a number of photographic methods/styles in mind which will be useful when taking pictures for my 360 degrees portrait that will start off the year.