Expanding Materials

Estompe

In order to improve the quality of my images this year, I have significantly expanded the types of drawing materials and implements I am using to create my drawings. From research over the summer, I know that more then the standard Graphite Pencils are often used in highly detailed images. To this, I have invested in a number of Charcoal sticks, a Putty Rubber and a Stump. 

What is a Stump?

stump is a cylindrical drawing tool, usually made of soft paper that is tightly wound into a stick and sanded to a point at both ends. It is usedby artists to smudge or blend marks made with charcoal, Conté crayon, pencil or other drawing media.

blendingtools

I want there to be a keen focus on my method of drawing this year as I feel that I am now at a stage where I should be accomplished in making detailed images. Sometimes I feel that I am at a disadvantage in my drawings because of my restriction/reliance on a singly type of pencil and feel that I have built up enough knowledge to really capture the realism and detail within my imagery. This knowledge will be greatly tested in my initial drawings.