Lifecasting: Display Casing

Before and After:

Finished Mould (left), Fresh Casting (right)

Although my previous discussions touched upon the way I will mount my work, a glass display case still seems to be the most appropriate method of display.

I have decided that for the exhibition I will only display the head of my sculpt, in the preceding weeks I will work to build textural details in the lips, eyes etc.

I want the finished clay mould to be an uncanny representation of the sitter and feel that a lit display case uncomfortably placed within the storage space will help to emphasis the strangers of the casting.

In reality, I know that costs will be the biggest constraint on how I decide to display the casting. Also as it is cast in a material still vulnerable to damage if someone were to touch it, I feel that some sort of visible protection over the obtuse sign asking for the object not to be touched would be effective in the exhibition.

Below are some examples of typical display casings:

Star-Trek-DS9-Odo-mask-display_1

In the next coming days I am going to buy more materials in order to make a secondary silicone mask that I will add skin pigments and hair details I will also loo at what the shop has to offer in terms of display casings and their appropriateness within my work.

Screen Shot 2016-02-24 at 15.32.52

4D Model Shop

Screen Shot 2016-02-24 at 15.33.04

Display Casing
Screen Shot 2016-02-24 at 15.34.32

Turntable: spinning display